Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Joy Through The Pain...?

James 1: 2, Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds. How many times have you read this or heard a sermon about it? How many times did it go past your way of thinking? Think about it, is there really any joy in hurting or feeling miserable? As we well know, life is not a smooth highway without bumps, near misses, accidents, and road blocks. Which is why the verse states, "whenever you face", not "if by chance" or "just in case". If you are alive right now reading this most likely you have already faced many trials and I am sure during those times that joy was not to be found anywhere. We certainly do not go to a suffering family who just lost a loved one and tell them sing with me, "I got the joy, joy, joy, down in my heart". Let's insert a couple of more verses; 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. There is a saying, "time heals all wounds", there is a hint of truth in that saying. Time will heal and what happens, at least in my mind is that you do grow stronger. We will endure hardship (which will test our faith)and if we persevere (let time do it's work), then we will be mature and complete(stronger and able to lead another through it). I try to walk the talk so here is a example from my life. I was working in Colorado as a phone tech and I was both a outside and inside tech, a combo tech. Basically if you see a phone tech outside and he is working on cable, at your house, in a green ped by the road, or drinking coffee at the donut shop (just joking on that last part), he/she is outside or plant tech. If you never see a phone guy except for one going into the phone office, working in a silver can by the highway, or at a diner (joking again)then he/she is inside or central office. Now that the phone lesson is over, I was doing both plant and central office tech among other things. Before Colorado I only did inside. It started out smoothly but started getting bad very quick. I lost my ambition, hated Sunday's because it meant I had to go to work Monday morning. My wife was upset because, I needed company in my misery, thought my life just absolutely sucked and was a angry man. I blamed God for this path I chose. The work load was horrendous. At one point my wife told me that she would rather I be unemployed then to go through another day of misery. To top it all we were in the middle of remodeling the house. I just wanted out and came up with a plan to go to school and become a R.N. and be finished with the whole thing. God had other plans and here I am in Missouri back to doing what I was born to do, job wise. I am happy and God blessed me. Now if I would have just endured, had faith in God sooner, and marched on, it would have been a lot smoother. I am stronger now and looking back, I realize that whole thing was school time. You will cry, be mad, feel lost, and alone, but remember, you are God's own, you will count it as joy when hardships come because in the end, God never left you, it is just the crap of this world, and God has a 5 star hotel room waiting for you. May God keep you in his grip.

2 comments:

  1. It seems when the going gets tough we like to blame others and God for our problems. We must remember God has a plan for us, and to stay strong in our faith when life gives us lemons.

    I might go off track here, but I will get back to the point if you can tough it out!! At work, we had to go to a health check for our company insurance made us partake in. I have high blood pressure, and my blood sugar tested high. Of course, I freaked out, cried, called my Dad (You!), and Lance. I was worried that I was already having problems at the age of 27. I thought I knew what I needed to do to get healthy. I was working out, and trying to watch what I eat. This week, I have been so discourged. I started saying, "Its so bad in both side of my families, and no matter what I do, I will have it." to I will work out tomorrow, then started I will drink/eat this and tomorrow I will work out extra hard. I had so many excuses why I shouldn't be doing what I needed to do!

    Then, my wonderful Lance, got upset and started telling me I need to get healthy and stop with excuses. I was really upset, but he was 100% correct. I need to do everything possible to get the weight off and eat right. After taking a moment, and talking to Lance, I understood his fears were just the same as mine. I need to take care of myself now, so I can be around for a while and someday start a family.

    So, circling back to the point! I understand it is so easy to blame God & others for your problems. But, if you lean on God and the people who love us we can do anything.

    Love you Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, we need to lean on God, but we also have to take the steps necessary to help ourselves. Yes you come from a family with some medical background, but if you take care of yourself now, I am sure you will live to be 100. Pray for His strength and guidance and you will be able to do it. Remember, it is a change of lifestyle.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete